Tuesday, March 2, 2010

On the Challenge

I didn't choose a career in advertising for the lifestyle. I didn't choose it so the world could see my work. I didn't choose it for the travel, perks or awards. Don't get me wrong, I like all that stuff, it's just not why I got into this business.

Instead I chose this career for the challenge. Truth be told, this doesn't come easy to me. And that's why I like it.

I'm an intelligent person. I graduated with honors in both high school and college, and I did it all with minimal effort. I coasted through both without a lot of challenges. And it bored me.

But advertising and design? Not so easy. Not so boring. Each brief is a puzzle needing to be solved. A puzzle that has many different solutions just waiting to be uncovered. Truths waiting to be discovered. Insights waiting to be brought to the forefront. And that's where the fun is.

Most consumers don't understand what all goes into ads. All they see are the thousands of capitalistic intrusions that bombard them each and every day. Or they see the romanticized version of the industry portrayed on both the big screen and the flat screen. But they don't ever see the hard work. They don't see the passion. They don't see the puzzle. And that's alright.

It's alright because it doesn't diminish it for us. The fun of the challenge is still there for us to enjoy. And as long as the challenge remains in this industry, I will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment