Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Lost Cause

I don't believe in lost causes. I refuse to accept that any cause can be a lost cause. I'm hopeful that everything has a solution. That everything can be fixed. If you believe in something enough, you can make a difference. It might be a small difference, but you can make a difference.

By definition, a lost cause is a cause with no chance of success. No chance of success? That's sad. That's tragically sad. It's sad because when you deem something a lost cause, it means you've given up on the idea of success. 

Working toward a goal is challenging. It takes determination. It takes focus. It takes sacrifice. But if it's something you believe in, something you honestly believe in, then it's worth it. Sometimes it'd be easier to give up. But when you are that passionate about something, you can't turn your back on it. If you could, you'd be turning your back on yourself. And we aren't wired to do that. 

My other issue with the lost cause is when it's applied to people. People aren't causes. They're people. And all any of us are doing is trying to find our way. And that isn't a cause, it's life. 

We're supposed to help each other through life. We're supposed to be there for each other. Support each other. Guide each other. Love each other. We're not supposed to judge each other. We're not supposed to decide who's worthy of the effort and who's not. We're all in this together. We're all doing our best. And none of us are causes, let alone lost causes. 

I don't believe in the idea of the lost cause. Maybe that's naive. Maybe it makes me an idiot. I don't care. Because I'd rather be hopeful that my hard work and passion will pay off. I'd rather be hopeful that I can make a difference.

No cause is a lost cause. And no person is either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment