Saturday, September 4, 2010

On the Power of Words

I believe in the power of words. It's probably why I'm such a music junkie. Or more specifically, a lyric junkie. Because no matter my mood, there's a song out there that speaks to me. I spent a couple hours a few nights ago carefully crafting the perfect playlist for what I need right now. Below are the words that made the cut. There's empowerment, there's sadness. There's wisdom and there's hope. Enjoy.


"I realize now I deserve so much more than what you give. Than what you give. I look so good without you. Got me a new hairdo. Looking fresh and brand new. Since you said that we were through." Jessie James, I Look so Good (Without You)

"Let's dance to joy division and celebrate the irony. Everything is going wrong, but we're so happy." The Wombats, Let's Dance the Joy Division

"How does it feel to realize you're all alone behind your eyes? It seems to me if you can't trust, you can't be trusted." Ben Folds, Trusted

"Everything's a stress and what's more, well it's all somebody's fault. Get over it." Ok Go, Get Over It

"It's me that ought to be moving on. You're not adorable. I was something unignorable." The Ting Tings, Shut Up and Let Me Go

"You had my heart, now I want it back. I'm starting to see everything you lack. You blew it, you put me through it, I want to undo it." Carrie Underwood, Undo It

"I'm starving for words that would ration my sadness away." Ludo, Drunken Lament

"Oh and I made my own bed. I lie in it. You lie in yours. You lie, you lie, in yours." Ben Folds, The Bitch Went Nuts

"I'm medicine and I am poison. I can help you up or make you fall. You had some of the best times you'll never remember with me. Alcohol." Brad Paisley, Alcohol

"Can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars? I could really use a wish right now." B.o.B featuring Hayley Williams, Airplanes

"Just because I'm hurting doesn't mean I'm hurt. Doesn't mean I didn't get what I deserve. No better and no worse. I just got lost." Coldplay, Lost

"Cause I don't care if I ever talk to you again. This is not about emotion. I don't need a reason not to care what you say or what happened in the end. This is my interpretation, and it don't, don't make sense." MIKA, My Interpretation

"I never knew you, you never knew me. Say hello goodbye. Say hello and wave goodbye." David Gray, Say Hello Wave Goodbye

"Well I'm not one to sit and spin, cause living well is the best revenge." R.E.M., Living Well is the Best Revenge

"I wipe the slate clean. I kick the daydream and remain independently happy." Blue October, Independently Happy

"You can sound the alarm. You can call out your guards. You can fence in your yard. You can pull all the cards. But I wont back down." Eminem, Won't Back Down

"Don't look back in anger, I heard you say. At least not today." Oasis, Don't Look Back in Anger

"Guarantee I'll be the greatest thing you ever had. Cause you ain't never met nobody like me." Eminem, So Bad

"No matter what you'll never take that from me. My reign is as far as your eyes can see. It's amazing." Kayne West, Amazing

"This is the way you left me. I'm not pretending. No hope, no love, no glory. No happy ending." MIKA, Happy Ending

"You may be right. I may be crazy. But it just might be a lunatic you're looking for." Billy Joel, You May Be Right

"Cause all I ask for is instant pleasure." Rufus Wainwright, Instant Pleasure

"Ask a scientist, it's quantum physics. We're all in this together. And on the subway, we feel like strangers. But were all in this together. Yeah I love you and you love her and she loves him, but were all in this together." Ben Lee, We're All in This Together

"What I want from this, is learn to let go." Damien Rice, Rootless Tree

"I wanna feel a car crash, 'cause I'm dying on the inside. I wanna let go and know that I'll be alright." Matt Nathanson, Car Crash

"If you think you need to go. If you wanted to be free. There's just one thing you need to know. And that's that you can't count on me." Counting Crows, You Can't Count on Me

"It's alright 'cause there's beauty in the breakdown." Frou Frou, Let Go

"I need some sleep. It can't go on like this. I tried counting sheep, but there's one I always miss." Eels, I Need Some Sleep

"Excuse me please one more drink. Could you make it strong cause I don’t need to think." DMB, Grace is Gone

"No I'll stand my ground, won't be turned around. And I'll keep this world from draggin me down. Gonna stand my ground and I won't back down." Tom Petty, I Won't Back Down

"I wanna celebrate and live my life." Taio Cruz, Dynamite

"I pray all your dreams never come true. Just know wherever you are, near or far, in your house or in your car. Wherever you are, I pray for you." Jaron and the Long Road to Love, I Pray for You

"And that's what you get when you let your heart win." Paramore, That's What You Get

"Sometimes in my tears I drown, but I never let it get me down. So when negativity surrounds, I know some day it'll all turn around." Matisyahu, One Day

"You write such pretty words, but life's no storybook. Love's an excuse to get hurt and to hurt." Bright Eyes, Lover I Don't Have to Love

"Nobody said it was easy. No one ever said it would be this hard." Coldplay, The Scientist

"Always fighting what we’re feeling. Hurt instead of healing. After all, we’re only human." Jon Mclaughlin, Human

No comments:

Post a Comment